ABOUT MARLBOROUGH TOWN FC
Football has been played in the town of Marlborough since the 1880s, when a number of Marlborough clubs played on the area of grass now known as The Common.
Demand for a proper club to represent the town was high, around the turn of the 1900s, and on July 5th 1904 Marlborough Town Football Club came into being, founded by William S Bambridge (pictured below). More information about our founder can be located here.
Marlborough Town joined The Wiltshire Combination in 1910, but achieved little in the way of League or Cup success.
World War One (1914-1918) would see football suspended nationally.
In the 1920s and 1930s, the club fared little better in The Wiltshire Combination, finishing either mid-table or close to the bottom of the league. The club would disband (albeit temporarily) before the outbreak of World War Two.
Marlborough Town moved into their current location at Elcot Lane, on the eastern side of the town, in 1946.
Despite the best efforts of players such as Alexander ‘Jock’ Shaw and Dennis Cripps, the club still struggled to attain any footballing honours.
In 1976, The Wiltshire Combination was merged with the Wiltshire League to form The Wiltshire County League. Marlborough Town were placed in Senior Division Two along with Avebury, Burbage Sports, Corsham Town, Lawn (Swindon), Ludgershall, Pewsey Vale, Purton, Rowde, Warminster Town, West Lavington and Wroughton.
Three years later, the club finally managed to attain its first football silverware – winning The Hungerford Floodlight Cup.
The 1980s would see the club win the Subsidiary Cup in 1987 and gain promoted to Division 1 in 1988 as well as win two ‘Most Sporting’ awards in 1988 and 1989.
The 1990s would see the club fluctuating between Divisions 1 and 2, as well as reaching the finals of the Wiltshire Senior Cup in 1997. The club also picked up two more ‘Most Sporting’ awards as the Millennium drew to a close.
The 2000s were largely a successful time for Marlborough Town, with the club picking up an award for Best Pitch in 2002, and the Under 14s and Under 15s teams each winning a ‘Most Sporting’ award in 2003.
The Quarter-Finals of both The Corsham Senior Cup and Fountain Trophies Junior Cup were achieved in 2005, with the club going one better in 2008 reaching the semi-finals of both contests.
Between 2004-05 and 2007-08, the club finished 11th, 10th, 14th and 13th in the Wiltshire Premier League.
In July 2008, Marlborough Town proudly welcomed the FA Cup to Elcot Lane as part of our summer festival. This was a fantastic occasion for everybody at the club.